Nina Hartley is not only a legendary porn star but a survivor of a business known to chew up and spit out its new talent in only a couple of years in favor of newer, younger, prettier talent. So how does a woman who went to school to be a nurse, suddenly change careers and survive in this hostile business environment for over thirty years?? Some would even say that she has gotten better with time and with the evolution of the business. She will tell us the secrets to her success and what you can learn from them and from her.
As with almost anything in the Adult movie business, what works with them, what makes them money and keeps them in business can be adapted to work for almost any other business. If you think about it, the Adult entertainment world is always evolving and always in the forefront of technology and change. Isn’t this also true for independent contractors, entrepreneurs, and self-employed professionals!
It comes down to the basics as we are always being told: Know who you are, follow your passion, become a brand, know what the customer wants and enjoy what you do. For the adult world, Nina Hartley adds a few other points that work well in other fields as well.
If you live and work in Las Vegas, sooner or later you will come across people in the adult industry. It’s part of the fabric of this city and it always has been. Adult entertainment is sold just like almost any other entertainment here in town. Last February, I had an opportunity to meet Nina Hartley at an event and she graciously gave me a few minutes of her time to talk. I wanted to know how a woman is able to survive in the adult business as long as she has and not lose her sanity? How has the business changed with the internet and where is it going for the newcomers?
Her answers may surprise a few people, as they are focused on women and the business of porn. But what she says about making it in the business relates very well to anyone wanting to be a star in their own little niche. Especially those wanting to succeed online. Branding, Niche Marketing, Know Thyself. etc…
>>>> I edited the interview down so it IS SAFE FOR WORK and for those with sensitive ears!
What Nina Hartley Credits Her long Success in Business to:
- Know that your attitude is infectious. What and how you react impacts those around you
- A formal education is not for everybody. Follow what you enjoy and find a way to make money from it
- First thing she figured out to survive was that she needed to be a brand
- No plan B, “This was going to be my world and my life”
- You may not the whole movie/process/scene, but you get to control your part of the finished product
- Since every movie made may be a first time somebody sees her perform, she had to grab them, had to be a consistent product
- Like what you do and let it show
- Personal branding. I wanted to stand for something. To have a message
- Making your words and action match what you really think and feel
- Get comfortable in your world, build that self-confidence and awareness, accept yourself
Nina Hartley’s “Mother Hen” Lecture on How to Survive in Business
1 Know why you are here and own it
2 Have a plan for after
3 Get straight about money
4 Do not do anything on camera you do not do at home for fun and for free
5 Have a floor price that you will not get out of bed for
6 Have a personal sex life with no cameras or crew (have a life outside the office)
7 Take the damn day off and go to the beach!
8 Never have a partner shame you for being a sex worker (for what you do)
9 Learn what you can about the internet to be more in control of your brand
10 It’s a business. Learn business skills, learn to be aware of what’s going on in business and be in control
Of these 10 “Mother Hen” points, can you see where you may or may not be doing the right thing to help your business grow to be a success??
Where is the adult movie business going with the internet?
- Movies with a story
- Movies with a beginning middle and end
- Individual branding is what’s selling online
- Trade content – work with others, cross market
- The Internet is worldwide and anybody can get on it. You can work anywhere and do almost anything
There are enough people who like what you are doing and are willing to support you
- All you need is to find 200 men to give you $50 a month – you can find them!
- Perseverance and patience pays off
- The more you drill down into your niche, the smaller the crowds, the more loyal the customer!
So now take what she says here and work them into your business and into your life!
Website: Nina.com (NOT Safe For Work!) NSFW
The AVN Adult Entertainment Expo (AEE) is an adult entertainment convention and trade show held each January in Las Vegas, Nevada and is sponsored by AVN magazine. (Adult Video News) it ends with awards show just like any other awards show, just for the makers, marketers, and actors in the Adult Entertainment world! Known by many of the locals as simply “The Porn Convention”
The 2018 Adult Entertainment Expo is January 24-27 at the Hard Rock Casino Resort (Click here for details)
photo credit:Michael Dorausch michaeldorausch.com
Business Lessons learned from Nina Hartley’s thirty years in the Adult Business World.